The office of Attorney General of Federal Republic of Somalia was established under theOrganization of the Judiciary, Legislative Decree No. 3 of 12 June 1962 as part of the Judiciary in Somalia. The Office’s mandate is enshrined in the Chapters II, VII, VIII of the Provisional Constitution of the Federal Republic of Somalia and the Judicial Organization Law and Criminal Procedure Code.
1. Uphold highest professional standards and promote a culture of respect, dignity, equality diversity, accountability and transparency.
2. Improve the knowledge and skills of our people through knowledge management.
3. Recruit and retain high caliber of staff to increase efficiencies to respond to all prosecutorial and mandated services in line with our obligation and international standards.
4. Engage with staff to encourage innovation and involvement in enhancing services.
5. Provide innovative initiative ICT systems that support our people in delivering the required level of service to clients.
6. Providing a safe and secure working environment that protects our people, information and other resources to enable effectiveness, resilience and wellbeing.
1. Embrace the Office’s core values, protect and strength prosecutorial independence and accountabilities.
2. Provide specialized, technical and skilled prosecutorial and investigation services and increase the focus on results and re-assess the results frameworks.
3. Develop, maintain and update prosecutorial and investigation policies and guidelines.
4. Implement a system that ensures consistent application of the policies and guidelines to achieve fair and effective prosecution.
5. Ensure adherence of Constitutional principles of fair trial and due process during investigation and prosecution.
6. Ensure that AGO’s Units have the necessary equipment, expertise and supplies to handle criminal cases.
7. Increase focus on results and re-assess the results frameworks and provide a coordinated prosecuting service that ensures justice is delivered to the victims.
8. Develop appropriate mechanisms to ensure accuracy and timely completion of investigation reports to avoid prosecutorial errors and violations, promote law enforcement accountability, and ensure prosecution integrity.
9. Develop pre-defined policies and procedures that enusre effective system of optimization of caseload distributions and ensure investigation reports are reviewed, assigned and completed within statutory timeframe.
10. Enhance citizens knowledge of, and access to, the Offices’ services through building stronger connections and raising the knowledge platform for our people.
1. Maintain excellent communication with the key leaders of the criminal justice chain both Federal and Federal Member States.
2. Partake in national, regional and International platforms to promote exchange of view and develop responses of issues of mutual concern.
3. Contribute and advocate for the reform of criminal justice organizations and criminal laws in both Federal and Federal Member States through presenting appropriate research and advising political decision makers.
4. Maintain liaising with international organizations of prosecution and criminal justice systems to ensure proper abreast of developing trends and techniques in prosecution and criminal justice.
5. Develop strategic partnerships and strengthen current engagements with international stakeholders in criminal justice system and other relevant regional and international bodies to improve the quality of our core functions.
1. Produce and maintain comprehensive and accurate information on the work of the office in an accessible manner.
2. Improve provision of quality services for victims and witnesses.
3. Ensure actors engaging victims comply with office policies and guidelines in their interactions with victims and witnesses